Thursday 27 May 2010

Le parfum du Maharajah de Kapurthala


part II
(part I to be found here)


There's a technical issue with vintage perfumes. For some reason, at the first sniff, they tend to smell weirdly and pungently citrusy - I don't really believe that all of them contain a bucketful of neroli, petitgrain and whoknowswhat aldehydes. It needs quite a considerable time to decipher a really old fragrance, at least that's what my experience says.


I kept wearing Le Parfum du Maharajah de Kapurthala for three days in a row. I expected an oriental. Cinnamon, sandalwood, something like that. The odd citrusy top notes didn't fit into this preconceived idea, possibly introduced by earlier testing of Route Mandarine so I was somewhat disappointed. Not for long, upon closer scrutiny, that neroli, along with carnation and possibly rose developed into a lush green accord and I started to purr because it was a a thing of pure beauty. It only takes a while and the fragrance shifts elsewhere, to spicy floral accord (pepper, ylang-ylang, jasmine, some such). At this point, the whole thing could remain a lovely green floral but it is a true chameleon, changing to... wonderful soft leather.
I'm still learning to understand leather fragrances and I probably started from the tougher end, I really like leather scents which are so pungent that they make paint flake off. The realm of the less aggressive ones is yet to be explored but after a short flirt with Guerlain's Derby (okay, I would be glad if someone gave me a bottle but when I run out of my sample, I won't regret) or the famous Knize Ten (just fine but where's the leather? It's chewing gum and a hint of spices...), I was left rather surprised by the tendency towards blah. Until now.

Le parfum du Maharajah de Kapurthala is one of the great abstractions - a few ingredients can be guessed. And every time I try, I find something different, just now I opened the bottle and it was all cinnamon, vanilla and pepper. Great olfactory toy, I would say.


This perfume is long discontinued and hard to find so I'm afraid you have to trust me on the description. I at least threw in more pictures.

3 comments:

  1. this sounds fabulous! I hope to could smell it someday. I know what you mean about 'the vintage problem'. it does take a while to get past those weird opening notes, and sometimes it does seem strangely wired toward citrus and aldehydes. Although I guess that's the beauty of them as well--they take a while to get to know and love.

    Great blog, glad I found it. I am now a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonne Vivante, thanks for your appreciation, there will be much more on vintages so keep your eyes open.

    Also, I'll take the liberty and mail you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow... Thats awesome...

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Love-Kapurthala/117942941597849?ref=ts

    ReplyDelete