Tuesday 21 August 2012

Week in pictures

First, week in two pictures.
Second, week in yarn pictures.



I had several works in progress which were stalled due to lack of yarn or which would likely need more so I knitted the works in progress to become works in more progress. The plan was to make consolidated orders. And, well, I didn't resist getting a ball of this or two bags of that, totalling 50 skeins and 2700 g of yarn, of which I'm urgently needing, lemme count, 14-ish. Damn the ooh, shiny effect.

- Elaborate, puh-leeze.
- You asked for it.



Around a month ago, I was done with progressing and sat down to the internets.

I'm somewhat cheap to get the rather expensive Grassland Silk yarn (being somewhat anally retentive about my knitting, I'm 99% sure I'll get there after some trying, ripping, cussing and finally succumbing but hope springs eternal) so after some pondering, I got some Silk Garden Lite in colours that could work. I have the same colourway in Silk Garden and it could work. We'll see.
Aaaaand, while searching for the cheapest Silk Garden Lite in 272, I found some discounted Shiraito in one store. That's the two hanks, one in greens, one orange, purple and turquoise, on the top of the pile. One postage, you know, and now some more yarn of which I will run out sometime in the future.


The bluish sweater in the bottom left corner... well. The yarn was ripped, along with some other one, from a sweater that went under the name of Research Library Revisited. The yarns didn't work together and the laceweight is waiting for its five minutes of fame until I get some sturdier fine yarn to go with it. Or some such. I was left with what I thought were two butchered skeins of Taiyo Sock so I ordered three more in blues plus one more in pinks and greens because I liked the colours.
When checking my pattern notes, I found out that it was actually three skeins of Taiyo Sock so there's a chance that I run out of it again but that will be solved later. However, I did some staring, then checked meterage (that's yardage for metric people, folks) and found out that one skein of 100 g of Taiyo Sock is 420 m while one 150 g ball of Schoppel's Zauberball is 422 m - and it looks thicker. The pink and green colourway is called Durch die Blume and I just fell in love with it. It looks somewhat weird when knitted. Too striped or some such. So I put my four balls aside to ponder the options and the next step is sampling these two together. Durch die Blume doubled... or total mess. I'll keep you informed. However, in near future, I'll be running out of the pink and green Taiyo Sock.
When getting the Taiyo Sock, I threw in a ball of Ayatori, that's the pale green thing on the right bottom of the central pic and I immediately fell in love. I'll be getting bagfuls when the sales hit, I'm telling you.


Then there was the green sweater. I needed preferably some Noro Silk Garden Sock in colourway 322 which was meantime discontinued, which lead to a hunt for yarn in suitable colours and I snatched some Kureyon Sock which should work after debrownification. And while getting it from Janette's Rare Yarns, I threw in some Rowan wool just to see how it looks like (the orange and pink ball. I could've lived without, goes to the gift knitting box).
In fact, the second yarn was Flower Bed at the beginning but the colourway 1208 was discontinued but while writing this post, I spent a few hours with uncle Google and discovered a shop that still stocks it for quite a reasonable price. I'll try the Kureyon first because I already got it.


The Birthday Sweater was meant for my birthday... in winter and I actually did run out of yarn as predicted. I obviously sat to the internetz only to find that Steppe is likely discontinued, on sale in most places and my colourway is available in only one shop that ships worldwide. I made my order, threw in some other colours which were half price... and in a few days, I got an apologetic email that my colour is out of stock. I didn't cancel the whole order, just changed it to stuff they had. The other online store shipped only to France but hey, I have buddies everywhere so I arranged a layover for the yarn in Paris... and the yarn store had Perenne, a wonderful wool and linen mix for half-price so I got a sweater and half worth, just in case.

Due to my slowly healing tendonitis or wtf, I put my tiny knitting aside as bulkier yarns and thicker needles are easier on my hand and within a few days, the birthday sweater should be finished. And I have some samples and design ideas. Expect more woolwashing.

For those who are not exactly knitting aficionados or don't know me from Ravelry: unless specified, all the yarns are by Eisaku Noro.
Shit about plants and perfumes will appear as well. When I get in the mood.


No comments:

Post a Comment