Saturday 14 February 2009

Eeessues

Eessues
For around a week, my computer has behaved weird. Slow startup, slow internet, Firefox hanging. I ran the whole disc through AVG, reinstalled Firefox and nothing substantial happened. I discussed the matter with more able friends – my usual solution to computer problems is going to the next office and tell the IT guy Make my computer work. Now.
The IT guy and the whole work circus is some 1100 km away so not only that I can't steal paperclips at work, I also can't use the IT guy. So far for pleasures of living abroad (1). Friends recommended Crap Cleaner which deleted 700 Mbytes of something that totally is not missed. Matters very slightly improved. Firefox remained lame, I was pissed because there are all my bookmarks and it remembers my passwords and.. anyway, I hate Explorer because it doesn't have the things Firefox has.
For around a week, my computer has behaved weird. Slow startup, slow internet, Firefox hanging. I ran the whole disc through AVG, reinstalled Firefox and nothing substantial happened. I discussed the matter with more able friends – my usual solution to computer problems is going to the next office and tell the IT guy Make my computer work. Now.
The IT guy and the whole work circus is some 1100 km away so not only that I can't steal paperclips at work, I also can't use the IT guy. So far for pleasures of living abroad (1). Friends recommended Crap Cleaner which deleted 700 Mbytes of something that totally is not missed. Matters very slightly improved. Firefox remained lame, I was pissed because there are all my bookmarks and it remembers my passwords and.. anyway, I hate Explorer because it doesn't have the things Firefox has.

Yesterday, I was perusing eBay and found out that I can't acces my account, or rather that I can't get from eBay UK to eBay US, it wanted my password and my password didn't match. I returned a few steps back to find out that whatever password my account uses, it is shorter than my own password. To cut it short, someone stole my eBay account. I became paranoiac. I went back to friends' forum, they gave me links to sites with debugging software and none worked. May be the apparently lousy state of my computer in general.May be anything.
As I say, some of my dear friends are more computer-savvy than me. One uploaded the newest version of AVG on ftp so that I could bypass the evildoer who wouldn't let me access AVG's website. AVG ate a load of cookies (pun intended). A nice lady on eBay Live Help re-enabled my access to my account.
To add to the load of general shit, Vodafone cancelled my special offer internet connection. Gotta go there and argue of which I'm not happy (3).
I spent the afternoon in I Tatti. It's pretty there, they have books, armchairs and other nice things for people to use... and wifi. I settled in the New Library, because it's the most distant and quietest room (4). Found a socket, found a table but the only chairs available were some sort of Procrustean furniture that would break my back in two. Went to the Small library. The room offers four working places with four pretty wicker chairs. At the first table, I couldn't lift the lid that lead to the sockets hidden in the floor; the other table was occupied but it couldn't be helped, there was a working socket and a working chair so I atleast stretched the laptop cord as far as it could go (5). The person wasn't there, only a laptop and some papers. With notes in some rather Nordic language but not in Swedish. 'Hey, Erling Skaug should be here this semester as research or something fellow,' I thougt to myself (6). Since I'm a dumb blonde, only half an hour later, I saw a note with a table reservation with a name on it.
From the previous course of matters, dear reared, it must be clear that the day was entirely crappy. When Erling Skaug in person arrived, he wanted to grab his laptop and started disentangling the cords. I sorta meant to chat him up (admittedly, conversation like Oops, this is my cord is not of the intelligentest but still, one has to start somehow) but in the exact moment, my not-so-dear landlord called to inform me that some nondescript arsehole mailed me something without writing the street and street number in the address and gave me a lengthy explanation how important it is and that they will bring it tomorrow. It's the eBay people, I suspect, it happened to me a few times so I had already got the lecture, I had already repeated to the landlord that I indeed understand the importance of proper address writing but that it is not within my powers of awesome to make people write it right, after all, were the people at hand, they could tell me the thing or hand me the object they intended to mail. I am a dumb blonde but not that dumb, pretty please. Meantime, Professor Skaug ran away and rightly so.
The friends who were meantime sending me virus-eating software and giving advices on how to make computer work. meantime googled who the guy was and said that I should've stolen the notes from him as a relic. Or a USB cable or something.




---------------------------------
(1) In case you wanted to know: no, the grass is not greener here either. Or maybe it is, in case you're somewhere with half a metre of snow.
(2) Social phobia.
(3) Social phobia.
(4) Social phobia.
(5) Social phobia.
(6) For any art historian who messes with something Medieval and Florentine, it's like, say, when an aspiring choir singer bumps into Madonna in the canteen.

No comments:

Post a Comment